Friday 20 November 2009

What is the future of publishing? Well, I look at it this way... if I can buy a good book for download at a third to a quarter of the price of a paperback and read it on a nice Sony or Kindle then I would be dumb not to. And that seems to be what is happening. Paperback sales are down again, except for the bestsellers. I am guessing every publisher will create it's own download site and most printed books will be special editions only, ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand copies with a smaller number signed by the author. This will become more expensive as demand for them will be high amongst those who feel they must have a hardcopy. In short, books will be for collectors, the rest of us will save a tree and just download it for a couple of bucks. It happened with CD's and it will happen with books. I am betting cash on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment