Saturday 21 November 2009

As TV goes – and bear in mind I think like a Rock Star here – I quite like one or two programs. QI with Stephen Fry and Alan Bennet (hope I remembered his name right) is pretty funny and often interesting. I mean, did you know that female kangaroo's have 3 vaginas? As useless information goes, this is stunningly useless, but also just quite simply amazing. I had, I guess like most people, basically thought of marsupials as mammals with pouches, if I thought of them at all, which I didn't. They are not. Isolated from all other continents, Australia evolved a completely different breed of critter entirely. Probably, from a mammals point of view, as close to aliens as we can encounter. Yet man go there too, and doubtless that was it for any chance of intelligent marsupials – sorry, we own that slot, best you not attempt to usurp us.

I am now going to have to do lots of reading on Australia and it's indigenous population, history, natural history etc. - Which reminds me of a pet hate... cultures who did not invent coherent writing and use it extensively... (and people who burned libraries).

No comments:

Post a Comment