Saturday 21 November 2009

Cerubus the Aardvark. Also highly recommended but not available in a mainstream store. In fact you may have to track it down. It is a graphic novel by Dave Sim, and his work is excellent. Funny, astute, intelligent, and well worth the effort.

Personally I lost interest part way through Jaka's Story, which was book (six?) but that is something I intend to correct when time/finances allow. I will get copies and read them all, not just for the funnies in the first few books but to find out where he eventually went with it. I do know that he used to be a feminist but then swung radically to the opposite pole and is now a confirmed misogynist. I, myself, do not hate women, but I do recognise some of the facts that he uses in his own arguments. Women are not men. Men are not women. Women (generally – do not think I am talking about 'you' specifically, please – like consensus so well that they are willing to believe that consensus effects reality, ie the facts. Men, generally (and there are increasing exceptions – especially in government for some reason... ) suffer no such illusion.

Different ways of thinking, and different approaches to problems, are useful but should be applied correctly. After 50 years of 'equality (and I freely admit it isn't as equal as it should be – in either direction!) there are still very few female engineers doing engineering work. This is not an accident, or repression, or anything other than the fact that men's brains have more appropriate architecture to deal with those problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment